Saturday, February 20, 2016

The Bible JESUS

For ye know the Grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that, though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor, that ye through His poverty might be rich. *II Corinthians 8:9*

We know how the Lord Jesus Christ loved us, because He gave Himself for us and loved us with all the energy of His being.  He gave much, because He loved much.  He gave until He felt the pinch, He gave all He had, and then He gave much more, His own life for His enemies.  Christ Jesus felt poverty because He had to become a man.  The Infinite Creator humbled Himself and dwelt here on Earth in human flesh, so that I could be rescued from my sinfulness.  The very God who hung the stars in a million galaxies, that same God hung on Calvary's Cross for me.  The Lamb of God whom angels adored and before whom all of Heaven bowed in awe was born in a cattle shed where oxen fed.  He was robed with Righteousness and Light in glory, but He laid all that aside, and put on the rags of humanity.  The Prince of glory became a Jewish peasant, so that I could be redeemed from all my iniquities.  Emmanuel, God with us, stooped way down when He visited Bethlehem 2,000 years ago as an infant.  It was by His deep poverty that I have become eternally rich in Christ.  The Godhead and mankind became one in Christ Jesus; He was God Incarnate.

The Lord Jesus lived a life of poverty and obscurity for many years in Nazareth.  From morning until night for years, He was tempted in all points like as we are, yet without sin.  Jesus spoke of His poverty when He said, Foxes have holes, and birds of the air have nests; but the Son of man hath not where to lay His head.” He never had a bank account or any real estate.  Jesus suffered hunger, thirst, weariness, want, and misery - all types of poverty.  Jesus became absolutely poor in all points, even unto death, so that He could make me rich spiritually.

Jesus took the Father's just wrath against my sins - He drank the bitter cup of wrath, so I could drink the sweet cup of Salvation.  Judas betrayed Jesus, then they bound Him, and led Him away captive to the judgment halls of Annas, Caiaphas, Herod and Pilate.  He was insulted, mocked and abused.  He was the Helper of the helpless, but they were cruel and unkind to Him.  He was tender and compassionate to everyone He met, but they brutalized and murdered Him.  They falsely accused and slandered Him, and sought to take away His sinless life.  Pilate could never find any fault in Him, but he handed Jesus over to the mob.  God the Father laid on Jesus the iniquity of us all.  He was numbered with the transgressors.  His name was drug through the mud.  He endured the consequences due to my sins.

Wonderful grace of Jesus, Greater than all my sins; How shall my tongue describe Him, Where shall its praise begin?  The soldiers and priests ridiculed Him; they ridiculed His royalty by putting a reed scepter in His innocent hand, by putting an old purple coat over His dear shoulders, and by placing a crown of thorns His precious head. Jesus was completely innocent, but He became guilty for me.  They blindfolded Him and slapped Him around.  They spit in His face, and treated Him like a criminal.  He was put to shame for my soul's sake.  The Most High God was humiliated on account of me.  They took Him and scourged His back until He was covered with stripes and covered in blood. All the brutal beatings that I deserved have fallen upon Jesus, my Substitute; and now, not one drop of divine wrath can fall upon me, and my sinful record is forever cleared before God.  Because of Jesus' Precious Blood, not one speck, spot, or stain of sin remains on my soul today.

At the last, they led Jesus away to a place called Calvary where they crucified criminals.  They nailed Him to the Cross that day to die in my place.  He became Sin for me, He was made a Curse for me, so my sins could be taken away forever freely.  The soldiers stripped Him down naked and then gambled for His garments.  Jesus hung there naked, so I could be clothed in God's Righteousness.  God the Father forsook Jesus on the Cross when He became Sin, and now God will never forsake me.  Wonderful grace of Jesus, reaching to all the lost, by His grace I have been freely pardoned, and saved to the uttermost; my chains have been torn asunder, giving me Liberty, His mercy has reached even me.

The Lord of glory suffered there in agony on the Cross for hours and hours, and finally, He cried, "It is finished!", and then He gave up the ghost and bowed His head in death.  My sins and eternal death died in Him; and now I have found eternal life in His bloody death, and Heaven in His Cross.  He was condemned, but now I am Justified; He died, but now I live with no fear of death; He was emptied, but now I am filled with the Holy Spirit. Wonderful Grace of Jesus, Reaching the most defiled, by His transforming power, He has made me God's dear child, He has purchased peace and heaven, for all Eternity.  O what a Savior!