Saturday, May 17, 2014

A Thirsty Sparrow

The Columbia River is a mighty river located in the Pacific Northwest. It stretches from the Canadian province of British Columbia, Canada and flows southward through the U.S. states of Washington and Oregon and then empties into the Pacific Ocean. The river is 1,243 miles long, and it flows at 122.7 million gallons per minute.

One day a man was walking along a trail by the Columbia River, and he saw a tiny little sparrow land on the very edge of the river. The roar of the mighty Columbia was almost deafening, he could feel its spray, and it was wide and deep and flowing fast. He could see the white water as the river raced swiftly over huge boulders many yards from the shoreline. The man paused on the trail, and he watched this little sparrow. The tiny bird cocked its head, and then dipped its beak in the water just once, and satisfied it flew away.

This sparrow sipping from the Columbia River is a picture of the grace of God. We have no idea of how deep and mighty and powerful the resource of God’s grace really is. We are like this little sparrow taking a little sip of a mighty river much more vast than we could ever understand. God’s grace is much greater than our needs.

It is our soul’s needs that drives us to the river of God. I may never comprehend how vast and mighty God’s grace really is, but I’m glad I know where to go to for help, especially when I’m thirsty. When I’m feeling weak, when I feel like I just can’t go on, I have days like that, plenty of them, and I'm sure you do too.

God allows us to feel the pain of our weaknesses. It is the pain of these weaknesses that deepens our dependence on Christ Jesus for strength each day. The weaker we feel, the harder we lean, and the harder we lean, the stronger we grow in Christ. While our bodies waste away, we must live with our thorn cheerfully. We must be patient, kind, free in heart, and we must love to help and encourage others.

Just as the sparrow dipped its little beak into the mighty Columbia and was satisfied, I know where to go when I feel the pain of weakness. It is has nothing to do with my willpower or human stamina. I am so weak and helpless, but I know where to go to for help. Christ Jesus does more than just satisfy me, more than just help me live with my thorn, He draws me closer to His side through His marvelous grace. The purpose of His grace is that slowly but surely we come to understand how vast and mighty our God truely is to the ‘weary’ soul who comes to Him at the Cross.

If you are feeling the pain of your weakness today, come to the Cross and lean entirely on Jesus, drink from the living water, because the harder you lean on Him, the stronger you will discover Him to be, and you like the little sparrow will be satisfied. Always remember - the weaker we feel, the harder we must lean on the Lord Jesus Christ.