Saturday, January 3, 2015

Behave - A Bible Word

*Behave* is a Bible word - And David behaved himself wisely in all his ways; and the Lord was with him. Wherefore when Saul saw that he behaved himself very wisely, he was afraid of him. *I Samuel 18:14-15* I will behave myself wisely in a perfect way. *Psalm 101:2* I was also upright before the LORD, and I kept myself from mine iniquity. *Psalm 18:23* Surely I have behaved and quieted myself, as a child that is weaned of his mother: my soul is even as a weaned child. *Psalm 131:2* Charity doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil. *I Corinthians 13:5* Ye are witnesses, and God also, how holily and justly and unblameably we behaved ourselves among you that believe. *I Thessalonians 2:10* For yourselves know how ye ought to follow us: for we behaved not ourselves disorderly among you. II Thessalonians 3:7*
When I was a little boy, one of my babysitters was a Christian lady, Ms. Mary Lou Burke. She used to always tell us, "You boys better behave." If we didn't behave, she used to have a little leather belt that hung on a nail on the door facing as you entered her kitchen. If Ms. Mary Lou had to resort to the belt, you didn't forget it.
Well, I'm almost 50 years old now, and I'm still trying to "behave" from day to day. But now thank God, I'm born again, and I have the Holy Spirit living within me to "help" me think and behave as I should. But I still struggle with my thoughts and actions from day to day. One of the true indicators that you have been born again is that you have an inward conflict with your sin nature. Bottom line: Sin always complicates life. Yield to the Holy Spirit, sin less, behave more, and Joy will surely follow. Divine Joy visits those folks who *behave* for Jesus' sake.
P.S. Christ Jesus loves you more than you'll ever know.