Saturday, July 12, 2014

The Ultimate Sacrifice

The following warriors of Naval Special Warfare Command have made the ultimate sacrifice since 9/11/2001:

STG2 Matthew Gene Axelson "Axe"  Afghanistan, 2005
SOC Darrik C. Benson   Wardak Province, Afghanistan, 2011
SOC Brian R. Bill  Afghanistan, 2011
HMC Matthew J. Bourgeois  Afghanistan, 2002
SOC Adam L. Brown  Afghanistan, 2010
SOC Christopher G. Campbell   Afghanistan, 2011
SOC Mark T. Carter  Iraq, 2007
SO1 Nicolas D. Checque  Afghanistan, 2012
CTT1 Steven P. Daugherty  Iraq, 2007
IT1 Jared W. Day  Afghanistan, 2011
GM2 Danny P. Dietz, Jr.  Asadabad, Afghanistan, 2005
MA1 John Douangdara   Afghanistan, 2011
SO1 Kevin R. Ebbert  Afghanistan, 2012
SOC John W. Faas  Afghanistan, 2011
SO1 Patrick D. Feeks  Afghanistan, 2012
HMCS Theodore D. Fitzhenry
FCC Jacques J. Fontan  Afghanistan, 2005
SOC Jason R. Freiwald   Afghanistan, 2008
LT Thomas C. Fouke
SO2 Shapoor "Alex" Ghane
ENC Luis Guitierrez
SOC Nathan H. Hardy  Iraq, 2008
SO1 Joshua T. Harris  Afghanistan, 2008
ITCS Daniel R. Healy  Afghanistan, 2005
SOC Kevin A. Houston  Afghanistan, 2011
SO2 Ryan Job
SO1 Mathew G. Kantor   Afghanistan, 2012
SOC Michael E. Koch  Iraq, 2008
LCDR Jonas Kelsall
SO3 Jonathan H. Kaloust
LCDR Erik S. Kristensen  Afghanistan, 2005
SOCM Louis J. Langlais  Afghanistan, 2011
SO1 Matthew Leathers
AO2 Mark A. Lee  Iraq, 2006
SO1 Jason D. Lewis  Iraq, 2007
PR1 Andrew J. Lightner
LT Brendan J. Looney Afghanistan, 2010
ET1 Jeffrey A. Lucas  Afghanistan, 2005
HM1 Marcus Luttrell  "Southern Boy" "The One"
IT2 Mario Maestas
SOCS John W. Marcum  Afghanistan, 2008
SOC Matthew D. Mason  Afghanistan, 2011
CTRCS David B. McLendon  Afghanistan
LT Michael M. McGreevy Jr.  Afghanistan, 2005   June 28, 2005
MC1 Robert R. McRill  Iraq, 2007
SOC Stephen M. Mills  Afghanistan, 2011
SO3 Denis C. Miranda  Afghanistan, 2010
MA2 Michael. A. Monsoor  CMOH  Iraq, 2006
LT Michael P. Murphy CMOH  Afghanistan, 2005
SO1 Caleb A. Nelson  Afghanistan, 2011
EODC Nicholas H. Null  Afghanistan, 2011
CDR Peter G. Oswald  El Salvador, 2002
BM1 Brian J. Ouellette  Afghanistan, 2004
MM2 Shane E. Patton  Afghanistan, 2005
CTTC Christian M. Pike  Afghanistan, 2013
SO1 Jesse D. Pittman  Afghanistan, 2011
SN Freddie Porter
ENS Jerry Pope   Yemen, 2002
CDR Job Price  Afghanistan, 2012
SOCS Thomas A. Ratzlaff  Afghanistan, 2011
SOC Robert J. Reeves  Afghanistan, 2011
IC1 Thomas E. Retzer  Afghanistan, 2003
GM2 Dion G. Roberts  Afghanistan, 2012
ABH1 Neil C. Roberts  Afghanistan, 2002
SOCS Heath M. Robinson   Afghanistan, 2011
SO2 Joseph C. Schwedler  Iraq, 2007
SOC Brett Shadle
SOC Eric F. Shellenberger
SO2 Adam O. Smith  Afghanistan, 2010
PO2 Nicholas P. Spehar
EOD1 Luis A. Souffront  Iraq, 2008
SO1 Tyler Stimson
CTR1 Michael J. Strange  Afghanistan, 2011
QM2 James E. Suh  Afghanistan, 2005
PH1 David M. Tapper  Afghanistan, 2003
HM1 Jeffrey S. Taylor  Afghanistan, 2005
SOC Collin T. Thomas   Afghanistan, 2010
EOD2 Tyler J. Trahan  Iraq, 2009
SOC Jon T. Tumilson   Afghanistan
SOC Lance M. Vaccaro
SOCS Thomas J. Valentine
CPO Aaron C. Vaughn  Afghanistan, 2011
EODCS Kraig M. Vickers  Afghanistan, 2011
SO1 David J. Warsen   Afghanistan, 2012
SO2 Ronald Woodle
SOC Jason R. Workman  Afghanistan, 2011


In times of war or uncertainty there is a special breed of warrior ready to answer our Nation’s call. A common man with uncommon desire to succeed. Forged by adversity, he stands alongside America’s finest special operations forces to serve his country, the American people, and protect their way of life. I am that man.

My Trident is a symbol of honor and heritage. Bestowed upon me by the heroes that have gone before, it embodies the trust of those I have sworn to protect. By wearing the Trident I accept the responsibility of my chosen profession and way of life. It is a privilege that I must earn every day.

My loyalty to Country and Team is beyond reproach. I humbly serve as a guardian to my fellow Americans always ready to defend those who are unable to defend themselves. I do not advertise the nature of my work, nor seek recognition for my actions. I voluntarily accept the inherent hazards of my profession, placing the welfare and security of others before my own.

I serve with honor on and off the battlefield. The ability to control my emotions and my actions, regardless of circumstance, sets me apart from other men. Uncompromising integrity is my standard. My character and honor are steadfast. My word is my bond.

We expect to lead and be led. In the absence of orders I will take charge, lead my teammates and accomplish the mission. I lead by example in all situations.

I will never quit. I persevere and thrive on adversity. My Nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight.

We demand discipline. We expect innovation. The lives of my teammates and the success of our mission depend on me - my technical skill, tactical proficiency, and attention to detail. My training is never complete.

We train for war and fight to win. I stand ready to bring the full spectrum of combat power to bear in order to achieve my mission and the goals established by my country. The execution of my duties will be swift and violent when required yet guided by the very principles that I serve to defend.

Brave men have fought and died building the proud tradition and feared reputation that I am bound to uphold. In the worst of conditions, the legacy of my teammates steadies my resolve and silently guides my every deed. I will not fail.