Saturday, December 19, 2015

The Heavenly Bargain

Christ Jesus had to give it all to save your soul from sin. Here is the bargain that went on between the God the Father and His dear Son for your lost and ruined soul:

God the Father: My Son, here is a company of poor miserable souls, that have utterly ruined themselves with sin, and they now lie open to My Divine Justice! My Justice demands satisfaction for their sins, or My Justice must satisfy itself in the eternal damnation of these sinners. What shall be done for these lost souls? And then Christ responds.

The Son of God: O My Father, such is My love to, and pity for these wretched sinners, that rather than they shall perish eternally, I will be responsible for them as their Substitute. Father, bring in all your bills, that I may see what they owe you; Father, bring them all in, that there may be no after-reckonings with them; at My hand shall you require it all. I will rather choose to suffer Your divine wrath than they should suffer it: upon Me, My Father be all their debt.

God the Father: But, My Son, if you undertake for them, you must reckon to pay the last penny, expect no mercy; if I spare these sinners, I will not spare You.

The Son of God: Content, Father, let it be so; charge all their sin debts upon Me, I am willing and able to pay their entire debt: and though it prove a kind of undoing to Me, and though it impoverish all My riches, and empty all My treasures, (for so indeed it did, II Cor 8:9 - "Though He was rich, yet for your sakes He became poor") yet I am content to undertake it to save them from Your wrath.

This is the only way God Almighty justifies a guilty sinner. Imagine this, you are the guilty sinner standing before God, you are condemned to die an eternal death for your sins. God says, “I will condemn you sinner, I must — My justice must punish you for your sins against Me.” But then, you cry out to the Just Judge, "Have mercy on my dying soul, I put all my trust on Christ Jesus the Bleeding Substitute, save my soul for Jesus’ sake!" Then Christ the Substitute comes in, puts you aside, and stands Himself in your stead. When the plea is demanded, Christ cries, “Guilty!” He takes your guilt to be His own guilt. When the punishment is to be executed, Christ steps forth, and says, “Punish me, I have put my righteousness and honor on this guilty man, and I have taken this condemned man’s sins and guilt upon Me. Punish Me, and consider this sinner to have been Me. Let him go free and live eternally in Heaven; let Me suffer his misery and death. Let Me endure this sinner's curse, and let him receive My blessing. Let me suffer as a sinner in his place, and let him be spotless before your throne in the robes of My Righteousness.”

Before the throne of God 2,000 years ago, fiery Justice drew his sword, and went out after sinners, to find them, and to cast them into the pit. Justice’s sword thirsted for the blood of all that had sinned; Justice said, “They are sinners; I will have them, I will thrust this sword in their hearts, for they are sinners, and they must perish.” Then Christ Jesus came forward, and asked him, “Whom seekest thou?” “Sinners!” answered Justice. Then said Jesus, “if you seek the sinner, here am I.” “What!” said Justice, “are you the sinner?” “No, not the sinner, but I am the sinner’s Substitute; all the sinner’s guilt is imputed to me; all his unrighteousness is mine, and all my righteousness is his; I, the Savior, am the sinner’s Substitute; take me and let them go free.” And Justice accepted the substitution; took the Savior, crucified him, nailed him to the Cross of Calvary. In the Garden, Jesus cried, “If ye seek me, let these go their way.” Who are they that are to go their way? Why, the very one whose former way was one of iniquity, and whose end would have been destruction, if the curse had not been made to fall upon the head of Jesus!

Christ was an offering for sin, in the sense of a Substitute. God longed to save; but, if such a word may be allowed, Justice tied his hands. “I must be just,” said God; “that is a necessity of my nature. Stern as fate, and fast as immutability. is the truth that I must be just. But then my heart desires to forgive--to pass by Man’s transgressions and pardon them. How can it be done?” Wisdom stepped in, and said, “It shall be done thus:” and Love agreed with Wisdom. “Christ Jesus, the Son of God, shall stand in man’s place, and he shall be offered upon Mount Calvary instead of man.”

Remember that the one thing needful for eternal life is trusting in the Lord Jesus Christ. I know you say you cannot be perfect. I know you cannot, for you a sinner. There is no such thing as a good sinner. You will say, “I have many sins; I have done much that is wrong.” It is true, most true, but he who believeth in the Lord Jesus Christ has his sins forgiven. You know the story-Christ came down from heaven and took the sins of the whole world upon his own shoulders. When God came forth to smite the sinner, Justice said, “Where is he?” and Christ came and stood in the sinner’s place, and God’s sword went through the Savior’s heart. Why? That it might never cut nor wound the heart of those for whom Jesus died. Did he die for you? He did, if you believe in him; your faith will be to you the evidence that Christ was substitute for you, and oh! if Christ suffered for you, you cannot suffer. If God punished Christ he will never punish you. Christ Jesus, the Lamb of God, was the Substitute for you. If God punished Christ, He will never punish you. If Jesus Christ paid your debts, you are acquitted forever. Rest only upon Christ’s sinless blood atonement, and you are a saved soul.