Friday, September 26, 2014

How's Your Thought Life?

I was listening to a Christian radio station the other day, and a young man called in with a prayer request: he asked, "Sir, please pray for me, I am having trouble with my thought life." I thought to myself, now that young man is a born again individual sure enough. He is struggling in his thoughts to think purely and rightly, so that he will not grieve the Holy Spirit. I believe that young man had the Real Thing, and I'm pretty sure he is a true child of God, because the natural man never has an inward struggle with his thought life.

Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in Thy sight, O LORD, my Strength and my Redeemer. As a man thinketh in his heart, so is he. The Lord searcheth all hearts, and understandeth all the imaginations of the thoughts: if thou seek Him, He will be found of thee. Charity thinketh no evil. Whatsoever things are pure, think on these things. You think what you think, because you are what you are. The wisdom which is from above is first Pure.  My meditation of the Lord Jesus Christ shall be sweet; I will be glad in Him.

But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in His law doth he meditate day and night.  My mouth shall speak of wisdom; and the meditation of my heart shall be of understanding.  I will meditate also of all the Holy Spirit's work, and talk of His doings.  I will meditate in God's precepts, and have respect unto His ways.  My hands also will I lift up unto God's commandments, which I have loved; and I will meditate in His statutes.  O how love I Thy law! it is my meditation all the day.  I have more understanding than all my teachers: for Thy testimonies are my meditation.  I remember the days of old; I meditate on all Thy works; I muse on the work of Thy hands.

How's your thought life?

Because that, when they knew God, they glorified Him not as God, neither were thankful; but became vain in their imaginations, and their foolish heart was darkened.  But they hearkened not, nor inclined their ear, but walked in the counsels and in the imagination of their evil heart, and went backward, and not forward.  And Jesus knowing their thoughts said, Wherefore think ye evil in your hearts?  Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on Thee: because he trusteth in Thee.  Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ.  For if a man think himself to be something, when he is nothing, he deceiveth himself.

Be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.  That ye put off concerning the former conversation the old man, which is corrupt according to the deceitful lusts;  and be renewed in the spirit of your mind; and that ye put on the new man, which after God is created in righteousness and true holiness.  Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life.  Commit thy works unto the Lord, and thy thoughts shall be established.