Saturday, July 4, 2015

The Road Ahead

My Lord God,
   I have no idea where I am going;
   I do not see the road ahead of me;

   I cannot know for certain where it will end;
   Nor do I really know myself,
   and the fact that I think that I am following
   Your will does not mean that I am actually doing so.

   But I believe that the desire
   to please You does in fact please You.
   And I hope that I have that desire in all that I am doing.
   I hope that I will never do anything apart from that
        desire.
   And I know if I do this,
   You will lead me by the right road
   though I may know nothing about it.

   Therefore I will trust You
   always though I may seem lost.
   And in the shadow of death,  I will not not fear,
   for You are forever with me,
   and You will never leave me
   to face my troubles alone.

      - Thomas Merton